Monday, February 16, 2009

Cool Kids

At Samohi, the cool kids ate in the quad.

Funny thing, any courtyard formed by the space between an even number of rectangular buildings will form a quad. True fact.

We had the quad quad and the science quad. Guess where I ate. Not because I was good at science, but because there was less pressure and more readily available seating. One time, I was wearing a Morrissey shirt and this hefty girl smiles and asks if I like Morrissey. I say yes, and she says "well, fuck you then." I still wonder what the Moz ever did to her.

Funny thing, most of my friends were cool kids, but not me. I was too quiet and too preoccupied with being different to compensate for being misunderstood. True fact.

A lot of the cool kids were goobers. They weren't all even that attractive. I think they were thought of as cool largely because they had the air of confidence that comes with certain life advantages. Social, economic, racial... If I had to pick a single thing that contributed most to their being de facto cool people, it would be that they all knew each other for a really long time.

Funny thing, I had this friend Brian Samuels. His dad, Nardy, was the Principal. And apparently had the bestes of testes. Brian and I used to goof off in class a lot and be loud and start shit. He knew all the chicks and they used to look at us oddly as chicks often do. Well, when they weren't around, he'd go on and on about this chick and that chick. How he wanted to fuck 'em, how hot he thought they were, how he wanted to smell their fingers... The usual. Well, years later (about 15 years later), I realize he was baiting me. I was supposed to express some similar interest so he could let the girl know it was there. If I'd just said I thought that one girl was adorable, chaos theory may have changed my whole life. True fact.

Well, now that I'm an adult, it's nice to be hanging with the cool kids like I do here on Alphabet Soup Bullshit Blog with Cindy, Jeremy and Sara. Having people to shoot the shit with makes all the difference. Thanks, guys, I appreciate you. True fact.

3 comments:

  1. Aside from the obvious weirdness, don't you think it's funny that she would ask you if you likes Morrissey? I mean, if you're wearing him on your body it's a pretty good indicator that you like him. Unless you were wearing it ironically, and being misunderstood.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you don't really like morrissey, though, right?

    ReplyDelete