Friday, March 20, 2009

God Damn

I grew up in a religious household. Well, for part of my life. I think when I was nine or so, my dad's dad died of heart issues. As he puts it, it was like a wake-up call, inviting them back. So we got religious. I'm fine with that. I have strong beliefs, despite my doing nothing constructive about them. What bothered me was that religion became an excuse to enforce my parents' personal beliefs. They made interpretations of things to justify their views of parenting. It was an excuse for abuse and neglect and horrible, horrible things. This bothers me, still. I don't hold God responsible (or at least I don't think I do), though I wish my parents would admit... anything. Sometimes I have no animosity towards them, but sometimes I'm still filled with venomous rage. I hope God can forgive them, but I want him to choose not to forgive me.

1 comment: